Sunday 22 April 2012

No Teddy Bears, Though


Last night myself and DP had planned to go and see Jo Nesbo’s Headhunters, the critically-acclaimed tale of violence and betrayal amongst Scandinavian recruitment consultants, but other things got in the way of us making the trip to the out-of-the-way cinema where that was showing, so we had to stay local.

We ended up seeing Cabin In The Woods, which I’d confused with Cabin In The Sky (look it up, IMDBers!) so the entire experience was something different to what I’d expected.

If you’ve not seen CitW, don’t worry: I’m not going to give away anything here. Anything even vaguely spoilery will go into a footnote so you can ignore it if you like. Face it, you probably know everything about the plot already. What I’m going to say is: go and see it. I need somebody to argue about it with.

DP loved it, and for eighty per cent of the time, so did I. Now, I’m not a big horror buff, mainly because I am a weed and a wet, but I do know of certain genre conventions. So when you’re sitting watching a ‘horror’ film, waiting for the first shock, and that first shock is delivered by the title card, you know you’re watching something unusual. But it’s a Joss Whedon film, so the undermining of convention is a given.

My problem with CitW is that it should have stopped at a certain point; a point which would have delivered a satisfying ‘oh no, and after all they’ve been through’ reaction[1]. In fact, I thought that was the end, and was reaching for my coat, but the damn thing continued. Having said that, what followed from that point was quite astonishingly bizarre.

CitW isn’t a particularly scary film; it shows its hand very early, and from that point you stop being jumpy about the shocks and start trying to second-guess it. In fact, I was jumpier about the guy in the hi-viz vest who came into the cinema halfway through. I thought he’d spotted our illicit home-made popcorn and was going to call us out on it.

What CitW becomes is a very knowing comedy, where fans of the genre will have a field day. Unfortunately, the entire last quarter of it is so knowing, so replete with references to other films and so desperately over the top that I just wanted to shout “Stop, Joss Whedon! In the name of God, Stop!”  It’s almost as if someone had given a five-year-old a big glass of tartrazine then asked them to plot a horror movie; insanity is piled upon insanity until, just before the end, a Very Famous Actor appears and actually explains the final plot-twist through the medium of Expository Dialogue.

It’s that mad.

It’s also one of the most fun, most thought-provoking films I’ve seen in ages. I could now start on about the subtextual addressing of the audience’s demands, about how the film possibly relates to Hannah Arendt’s most famous quote, or about the fact that Bradley Whitford is the most under-rated actor in the world.

But who has time for that?










[1]  I’m talking about the scene when they’ve breached a certain level and you see exactly what the elevator cage is; the pull-back so you see what’s in the other boxes, with an implication that the two characters would now spend the rest of their lives there, would have been a great last image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment